Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Looking Ahead...

It seems I'm already a victim of cabin fever... the winter's not even officially started, and I'm already thinking of what I want to grow in the garden I'm going to plant next spring. Two summers ago, James and I grew tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, carrots and lettuce, and it was awesome. So, I'm looking forward to raking a rectangle into my stoned-over back yard next May.

And then today on Treehugger.com, there was this story about a guy in the States, who's traveling the country building custom gardens in people's front yards. He calls it Edible Estates. His motivation is the fact that grass lawns are a waste of water and space. Instead, he wants to see lush, productive gardens. "The ultimate goal," Fritz Haeg says, "is to have everyone that comes in contact with the project, in whatever way, to reconsider how they occupy their land."

Awesome idea, eh? Man, my dad would have a humongous garden in front of his house... the lawn is pretty big. I don't think they have to water it too often though. Hopefully not, anyways!

Labels: ,