Thursday, October 23, 2008

An Ode...

This post is dedicated to all of my best friends and my family...

Stef, because she asked for a copy of this...
James, because he's just had major surgery (successfully) and he's been in my thoughts...
Bex, because I feel like we've lost touch over the past couple of months, which sucks...
Roxanne, because she's missing her bro, and I'm missing her...
Ben, because he needs to be reminded of the simple things in life (and to not work so much!)...
Shirley, because she's the bestest step-mom a girl could ever have, and she takes excellent care of my dad...
Karie, because life for her is trying, but she's done, and will continue to do, the best job living her life (and taking care of my brother and nephew) of anyone I know... and
Stace, because, well... it's Stace! I think she gave this to me in the first place, actually...

Kiss the back of your hand and remember a moment in childhood when you felt the perfect joy of being at home in the world.

Give a gift to a river, lake or ocean.

Treasure the unique shape and contours of your beautiful face.

For just 48 hours, be inflamed with the hypothesis that your soul will live on forever.

Imagine that your place of power is where the tree joins the earth.

Playfully lower your expectations all the way down to the bottom and tune into the shattering sweetness of life exactly the way it is.

Put yourself under the protection of the raw elements.

Write an epic three-page autobiography while sitting in the pitch dark.

Seize the power to create magic that has always seemed impossible before.