Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Back to Life, Back to unReality

I've returned to Toronto after spending the Easter weekend in Windsor, and I have to say, I'm glad to be back. I knew the trip home would be fairly unpleasant, and I was right.

First, the drive home on Thursday evening was completely insane. Traffic slowed down to around 40km/h around Burlington, for like 40 minutes. ARGH! Then, just south of London, I ran into a white-out... it was snowing so heavily, I could barely see 20' in front of the car. And the roads were covered in snow, so driving more than 60km/h would've been completely suicidal. And of course there was construction along the 401 in Essex County. It ended up taking me an hour longer than normal to get home.

Secondly, my sister-in-law's mother (or, my brother's mother-in-law) is very ill. Very. It's extremely sad. She reminds me a lot of my own mother, and treated me like a daughter after my mom passed away 8 years ago. She's a strong lady, but has been sick for a while. Unfortunately, I think she'll soon lose her battle with cancer, and we'll all lose an extremely passionate and dedicated woman... Alas...

I also visited with some other friends who lost a family member back in February. It's sad seeing people you love so sad. So. Sad.

I ran into a friend from high school (not even through Facebook), and she showed me a picture of her beautiful daughter. When I asked her if she was married, she told me she was, but that her husband died of a heart attack last year. He was 40. Frick, man.

So, yes, I knew this weekend would be a melancholy one. And it was. Except for the time I spent with Stacey, and my Dad and Shirl!

And I didn't get to bring my canoe back with, as was planned. I need to find someplace to store it that has access to the lake. Somewhere CHEAP.

Labels: , , , , , , ,