Thursday, October 05, 2006

Jane and Finch

I watched a scary documentary called "Lost in the Struggle", about the Jane and Finch area, last night on the Fifth Estate. It was insane. It followed the lives of three young boys in the area, each of different ethnicities and financial backgrounds.

There was Freshy, a 16-year-old living with his parents in a single family condo, his parents immigrated here from Bangladesh, and they both have full-time jobs. He's addicted to the thrill of "flipping" counterfeit bills. He gave no other reason for living like a criminal, other than loving the adrenaline pumping through his body by taking such extreme risks.

There was Chuckie, a 20-year-old Vietnamese living with his mom. He's a hero in the area, because of his "thug-ness". Last summer, he was assaulted in his home, and the assailants attacked his mom as well. From then on, he said, he knew he had to leave the thug way of life. Now, he tries to stay away from crime, and visits schools in the area, wearing a "Violence Shatters Lives" t-shirt. However, he has no problem "regulating" Freshy with a lead pipe and five of his closest friends.

And then there was Burnz, 19 years old I think, who's attitude is purely, "it ain't my fault so get off my back". He breaks curfew, and blames the police for it. He get's turned down for a job, and says, "I guess I was too real for them". He finally gets a job despite not having a high school diploma or any experience, and quits two weeks later because it wasn't enough money. He knocks up his 17-year-old girlfriend, and is angrier than ever.

I was almost sick to my stomach watching this last night. Where did these kids learn (or fail to learn) right from wrong? The parents are obviously not fit to teach them anything about morality, so now who becomes accountable for them? I've heard the Jane and Finch area has been like this for years and years. I hope something is done about it... it breaks my heart to know that there are children growing up there, believing that that is the only way of life available to them.

The Fifth Estate did say, at the end of the hour, that of course not all young males in the area choose this kind of lifestyle. Thanks for the peace of mind, CBC.
_________________________________________________

On a much, MUCH lighter note... that bitch Monique was eliminated from America's Next Top Model. Finally! She was only there to stir up the pot... but it was getting a bit out of hand. She's pretty enough, but takes horrible photos. Hello! That's what models do! Have their photos taken!

I couldn't believe no one clocked her a good one. I was waiting for it. Now THAT's the kind of violence I can get behind...

... I'm horrible.