Thursday, June 15, 2006

Planting with the TBI

Last night after work Stef and I went to plant some native species in the Spadina Wetland (at the bottom of Spadina, by the Music Garden). Toronto Bay Initiative organizes volunteer opportunities like this, in conjunction with the City. It's a great way to spend some time outdoors, meet new people, and give some TLC to Mother Earth.

I found it extremely strange to be in this marshy area, surrounded by long reeds and grasses, Stinging Nettle and Bergamot, and then look up and see the CN Tower looming overhead, with condos on all sides. Very surreal. I didn't think it would be too hard to plant these little seedlings, but the marsh was full of plants, with strong roots and lots of rocks underground. My forearms still hurt from the effort... Here's a shot of me, digging away!