Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Quest for the Perfect Wake Up Call

For the past couple of weeks, I've been searching for the perfect radio station to wake up to in the morning. My wake up routine is as follows:

The alarm first goes off at 7:15am (which is actually 7am, since my clock is set 15 minutes fast). I hit the snooze button, which allows me to sleep for nine more minutes. Why nine? I have no idea. I think that's the default snooze time.

At 7:24am, the alarm goes off again. I hit snooze.

I let the alarm go off three more times, at 7:33, 7:42 and 7:51. Then I wake up.

I need to be coerced awake, gradually, so I don't "wake up on the wrong side of the bed". If I'm jarred awake suddenly, I get scared. And that's no way to start your day.

For the last three years, I awoke to 102.1 The Edge because I enjoy most of the music they play. A couple weeks ago, however, I awoke to someone talking about how they watched some guy stick something up someone's asshole, who then had to go to the emergency room to get it dislodged. Maybe I'm getting old- but that's NOT a conversation I need to hear first thing in the morning. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about The Edge. I think the DJs are hilarious- just not right when I open my eyes.

So- now I'm looking for a new station. I've tried classical, which is no good because it just lulls me back into a deeper sleep. I tried 107.1, the classic rock station, but all they do is talk in the morning. Alas, I don't get Jack FM in my bedroom. Now my clock is set to a jazz station (99.1, I think), but I'm having the same problem as with the classical music- it's just too damn relaxing.

I NEED to find the perfect radio station... HELP!!