Monday, March 27, 2006

Breakfast Review #4... Mitzi's Cafe

This should've been written a loooong time ago, but what can I say- sometimes I'm a slacker.

A couple weeks ago, James I met up for breakfast at the original Mitzi's Cafe, up at Sauroren and Pearson. It was a beautiful day; it had been raining all night but the sun was shining that morning. I decided to walk there, even though I was horribly hung over. I figured the walk would do me good. It didn't, but the breakfast certainly made me feel 110% better!

I arrived a few minutes before James (as per the usual), so I reserved a table for two and waited outside. There really isn't anywhere to wait inside, so I was lucky it was a nice Sunday morning. The place is very small- I've been told the place was a corner store before it was a restaurant. I don't think it should be any bigger, though. It's the epitome of quaint. The very definition of cozy. From the big purple door inviting me in to the mismatched but oh-so-appropriate Formica tables and vinyl chairs, the butter-coloured paint on the walls and the hand-written chalkboard menu; the fact that there are cafes like this reminds me how cool Toronto really is.

I had homemade granola served over vanilla yogurt with lots of fresh fruit. I thought the granola was maybe slightly overdone (then again, I've never had homemade granola before), but the fruit and yogurt was exactly what you expect it to be- refreshing and energizing. And the presentation was very nice! James had an omelette with shiitake mushrooms and rapini with a lemon mustard drizzle. He said it was amazing, even though he didn't know what rapini was (I guess it's kind of like broccoli?) I didn't feel up to a coffee, but it looked and smelt wonderful.

SO- on a scale of 1 to 5. I gave the service a 3.5 (the place was super busy, though, and there was obviously only one server). The food a 4.5. The atmosphere a 5. Cleanliness a 5. Cost a 2 (I knew the prices were the same as Mitzi's Sister, which is fairly high). Overall- Mitzi's Cafe and Gallery gets a 20 out of 25!