Thursday, March 09, 2006

Breakfast Review #3... Mitzi's Sister

Some old friends were in town, so on Sunday I took them to Mitzi's Sister for breakfast. I'd heard good things about it, and saw it a few times on Queen West (by Sorauren Ave.); it looked interesting.

We had to wait about 15 minutes for a table, but we sat at the bar for a bit and ordered coffee. The sign out front said "Best damn coffee in town", so I expected it to be tasty- and it was. Strong, but not bitter, my friend Matt said. There were fresh flowers on the bar, roses and tulips, and a coral coloured shell chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The bartender looked vaguely familiar, but I think it's just one of those places where you feel like you know someone. I get that sometimes.

We sat at a table in the very middle of the restaurant, right beside the jukebox with the chrome arch floor lamp encircling it, underneath the metal art creature (which was a little scary- what if it fell?!) There were nude sketches covering the wall to my left- they made me smile. Needless to say, I thought the atmosphere was perfect.

We ordered our food- Matt had the Eggs Benedict, Nicole had the French Toast, and I asked for the Huevos Rancheros. We waited an appropriate amount of time, and when we recieved out breakfasts, I was blown away by the size of the French Toast- slices of sesame seed bread 5cm thick, covered with syrup and whip cream. I was jealous, but my eggs, salsa,
sour cream, guacamole, refried beans and soft tortilla, with potatoes (to die for) and fresh fruit was sooo good. Matt said the Eggs Benedict was excellent as well.

So- the breakfast was shaping up to be a stellar one. But there was one drawback. The food was amazing, and the atmosphere was wicked, but not without a price. The cheapest thing on the menu was $7.95- a bowl of granola and yogurt, with fruit I think. My eggs were $9.95, and the other plates were $11.95 each.

SO- on a scale of 1 to 5. I'll give the service a 4 (the waitress was a bit distant, but that could've been because I asked if there were free coffee refills). The food a 5. The atmosphere a 5. Cleanliness a 5. Cost a 2. Overall- Mitzi's Sister gets a 21 out of 25! The best yet!