Thursday, February 09, 2006

How in the world do they choose the best?!?

I watched some of this year's Grammy Awards show last night. The opening was pretty cool- the Gorillaz, with Madonna. However, I don't think the audience liked the Gorillaz too much, because I heard chatter and shouts throughout their performance. Maybe they didn't appreciate the fact that they aren't real, only cartoon characters. I personally LOVE the Gorillaz, and think their digitized personas fully reflect the direction music is taking.

Another highlight was the performance by Mariah Carey. Honestly. I think she's as skanky as the next critic, but you can't deny it- that woman can sing. She's put on a few pounds, but looks great, and her energy, passion and talent kept my eyes glued to the screen. It was amazing. I remember when I was about 11 or 12, I asked my mom for the Mariah Carey and the Cocktail Soundtrack cassette tapes for Christmas. My mom said, "Oh, well at least that will be easy to remember, since my name is Maria, and yours is Kari!!" Alas, she must've forgotten, because I didn't get it. And I got the Beach Boys Good Vibrations on tape, instead of the Cocktail Sountrack (I was pissed at the time, because of course I was too young to appreciate Good Vibrations at all).

Back to the Grammies... if I was a judge, I would've given the award to evey single nominee in this category...

Category 22: Best Alternative Music Album (Vocal or Instrumental)

Funeral- The Arcade Fire [Merge Records]
Guero- Beck [Interscope Records]
Plans- Death Cab For Cutie [Atlantic Records]
You Could Have It So Much Better- Franz Ferdinand [Domino]
Get Behind Me Satan- The White Stripes [Third Man/V2 Records]

Honestly, each of these albums is amazing. Go out and buy them right now. Or download them. Whatev.