Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Happy Birthday Lord and Lady Baden-Powell!!

Today is February 22nd, the birthdays of Sir Robert Baden-Powell (1857) and his wife Olave Baden-Powell (1889). Known as B.P. Day or Founder's Day by Scouts all over the world, and as "Thinking Day" by the Girl Guides.

Lord B.P. founded the Scouting movement in 1907 after writing the book "Aids to Scouting" for the English military and finding it was a bestseller. The Girl Guide movement was started in 1910 by Lord B.P.'s sister, Agnew Baden-Powell, after a number of young girls showed up to the first Scout Rally calling themselves Girl Scouts.

Today brings back a lot of good memories for me. I was a Brownie, a Girl Guide, and then a Pathfinder. After a couple years off from guiding, I joined the Rovers (Scouts for young adults), and I also helped out leading a Scout troop back in Tecumseh. I truly believe that if all kids were involved with Scouting/Guiding, the world be a better place. I learned so many things (practical things like sewing, astronomy and lashing together furniture for camp- and social things like teamwork, independance and leadership). I can say with conviction that I would not be the person I am today if it weren't for the Scouts/Guides.