Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Breakfast Review #2... Skyline.

For my second breakfast review, my cousin Allison, James and I sought out the Skyline Restaurant. After a long, cold walk in the wrong direction (we started out at Dufferin and headed east- I thought it was closer to the Drake), we decided to ask a couple waiting for the streetcar for directions. They said they'd never heard of the Skyline, and asked if I meant the revolving restaurant at the top of the CN Tower. I was like, no. I thought to myself, "This isn't a good sign, the locals have never even heard of it?!?" But perhaps they weren't locals, or maybe they just didn't get out all that much. It ends up though, I was in the wrong neighbourhood! After stopping into that infamous Starbucks and asking the barista for directions (they were very nice and knew exactly the place I was talking about), we found the Skyline a bit further west on Queen Street at O'Hara Avenue.


The best part about this place is the ambience- it's pure greasy spoon diner, complete with red vinyl lined booths and yellowed light sconces along the walls. The waitress immediately brought us water, and a second later, some of the best coffee I've had in a while. Alas, there were no free refills, but because we were newcomers, she gave us three cupfuls each for the price of two.

The menu had classics like eggs, bacon, ham or sausage with homefries and toast, and other diner specialities like open faced hot sandwiches, triple deckers and steak and fries. I was a bit confused by the cold meat platters, but to each his own, I guess. I ordered two eggs over easy, bacon, white toast, and fries instead of homefries. Allison had the same (but with no meat and brown toast, with homefries). James got the mushroom omellette.

The food came quick, and I noticed that I got three yolks instead of just two. Steroid eggs, maybe? Couldn't have been simple good luck, since Allison got the same. I'd rather not think about it! They were cooked to perfection in "real butter" according to the menu, and the bacon was yummy. Garnished with a leaf of head lettuce and a small slice of tomato. Ghetto-diner style!

All that food for $5.95. The fries were nice and crispy. Apparently the homefries were good too, with some seasoning salt sprinkled on top (I thought that was my secret!) A quick note about James' omellette- it was overrun with mushrooms and I regretted not ordering it!

SO- on a scale of 1 to 5. I'll give the service a 5. The food a 2.5 (the eggs creeped me out even though they tasted good, the garnish was a little sad and no refills on the coffee seemed strange). The atmosphere a 4. Cleanliness a 3.5. Cost a 4.5. Overall- Skyline gets a 19.5 out of 25!