Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Tory Minority

So, it's been decided... Canadians just can't decide.

That's my take on the whole election business. We knew we didn't want the corrupt Liberals back in, we didn't like the Conservatives views on abortion and gun control, and we didn't think the New Democrat's could handle the whole country. So what did we do? We elected a Tory Minority, which will hopefully be temporary (but I have a feeling it won't be). The outcome was pre-destined (in my opinion), but that didn't stop my stomach from flip flopping last night when the results were announced. I hope the minority government can work together and start resolving some of the problems we're experiencing.

So- I might as well tell you- I voted NDP, and I'm super excited about the NDP's various wins across Ontario. My current apartment is in the Trinity-Spadina riding, where Olivia Chow finally won against long time Lib representative Tony Ianno. However, I'm moving in less than a week, so it doesn't really matter, right? My new place is in the Parkdale-High Park riding, where Peggy Nash was voted in for the NDP. Yipeeee!!! The NDP spirit is spreading and growing strong!!

Back home, in Windsor, I was happy to see that the NDP's took both ridings, Joe Comartin in Windsor-Tecumseh (which is where my dad is, I know Mr. Comartin will take care of him!), and Brian Masse in Windsor West. Not surprising though, was the onslaught of Conservative votes in the county of Essex, where my brother is. I still can't get over the rural/urban divide. You can see it in Toronto and Windsor especially. When will the hicks get a clue (my bro included, sorry if he's reading this, which I doubt)?!?? I guess the values of the ruralites are representated most by the Tories, but there's got to be a better way than voting in someone who's against a women's right to choose, strict gun regulation and public health care. And, in a way, I guess there is a way...

It's called a CONSERVATIVE MINORITY GOVERNMENT.

Which is what we've got. Let's work together for a FAIR and FREE Canada!!